Background

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Markings

Scars


It was cold outside and kinda cloudy but somehow still bright. Cassie and I were waiting for the bus to take her off to school. She was chatting through her stutter and I was trying to grasp her story line although hard to follow. Soon her chatter turned to a blurred background noise as I gazed at her petite and slender face. I hadn't noticed the mark on her chin, what was that? The skin was rippled as if it were an empty blister. I lifted her chin and smiled at her keeping my curiosity to myself as I examined her face, scars, there were scars all over her face. She had several on her forehead, and chin. Malnourished her scars healed roughly on her smooth surrounding skin. Such a lovely face wounded, my throat got tight and I curled her hair behind her ear, I wanted to see all of that precious little face of hers. It hadn't been long since her hair was a helmet to hide behind, similar to that of a bowl cut that a boy might have, I quickly learned all the tricks of pulling it back and making her look feminine. To this day I can't imagine how those marks on her little face were put there, who put them there and why. After being in my home for months her face started to change and one day while snuggling I noticed that the scar on her chin was faded and flat, no more rippling and I knew then that she was healing, because of the nutrition she was being provided with and the filling out of her face her scars were disappearing. When I think of her precious pixie face today at this very moment not a single scar is remembered just smooth healthy skin.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

you have such a gift writing, nicole. this is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Rebecca's comment!

Anonymous said...

I third that comment. Beautiful.

Nicole Ashley said...

Thank you soo much ladies :) It's comforting to write it down by just remembering it all. Thank you for Commenting :)!!