Background

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Ornaments 2006


Lydia & Cassie

The smell of cinnamon scented pinecones fills the house. Mistletoe is hanging over head, gleaming lights strung, and the ornament box almost empty. Another year almost over and we can hardly believe it. It sure is cold outside with the winter snows coming, though, I can’t help but smile at the thought of snow on Christmas. Susanville is much prettier with a layer of white. I haven’t grown very fond of Susanville. It’s harsh and the colors are so bland. This March will be the completion of our first year here in this unfamiliar area. I miss my deep green redwood giants with bright blue peeking through. Nothing can replace my crisp cool river, so clean you can see to the bottom. And my ocean with its thundering waves and my fog horn that lulls me to sleep. These things can never come out of Susanville. But nonetheless I’m going to enjoy THIS Christmas, nothing can stop me. It’s dark outside and these cookies are so delicious. As Bing Crosby sings in the background my husband and I look to see that no ornaments are left in the box. At the bottom is some paper towels, I lift them out, in disbelief I unwrap the objects inside. Seeing the shiny gold ornaments, I’m taken back. It’s our very first Christmas together just two years before. Our home is ready for two little girls, unknown to us is their names, their hair color, their story, all we know is they are coming. We wanted to be ready for when they arrived, so while in Wal-mart I found two flat gold ornaments, one being a little girl praying and the other a simple snowflake. Perfect for our new arrivals, we had high hopes that this would give them security, and ownership to their first Christmas away from their real home. Christmas came and went, so we wrapped them in paper towels and placed them at the bottom of our precious ornament box. I can hardly believe it; in my hands are the very ornaments we had bought that first Christmas holiday together. I look up at my hubby to find that my eyes aren’t the only ones glossy with tears. This is what we had been waiting for, the girls are here and not an ornament on the tree belongs to them. With excitement in my voice I call them to my side very softly and slowly I explain to them,” these are for you, they are yours to keep and to put on your Christmas tree.” Hurriedly they take the gifts and with smiles on their faces placed their own ornaments on the precious tree. I know in my heart this is an unforgettable memory, God blessed me this Christmas with more than gifts, but with the undeniable fact that he has a divine plan. His plan I can’t escape, but with his loving guidance I can be a tool for his glory.

No comments: